Monday, August 9, 2010

When the going gets tough, what do you do?

A few years ago, if someone, sorry, when someone made a disparaging remark about Akron, Ohio, my hometown, I could say, "Oh yeah, well, this is the hometown of LeBron James! The Black Keys! Take that!" It was nice to be able to say something nice about my hometown. When I was a kid, I had a shirt that said "Rubber Capital of the World." That's not true anymore. The PBA Championships were at a bowling alley ten minutes from my house. Even the bowlers left us. It was easy to  joke about Akron, but it was really enjoyable to have a comeback. Now, a few years have passed, and I don't really have a good response for when someone jokes about my hometown. You see, all of the people that had the potential to lift this town up have left.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Hey, where are you going?

I think what's happening in Akron and in Northeast Ohio in general is symptomatic of a serious problem in our society. When things get tough or frustrating or depressing or painful, people immediately look for brighter pastures rather than trying to figure out what went wrong or how to fix it. One of the members of the Black Keys apparently left, in part, because the nearest Whole Foods is a 45-minute drive from Akron. Well, why not try to bring Whole Foods TO Akron? Boost the local economy. Help people live better. But that kind of thinking seems to be on the endangered species list.

With the economy the way it has been, I wonder how many people apply this kind of thinking to their job search or their company's well-being. How many people are settling for jobs because waiting for the right one is just too painful? How many people are languishing in depression because their company or their job isn't going the way they want?

I'm not saying that if you try really hard, everything will turn out okay in the end. Sometimes you will get defeated, and that stinks. That's also life.  But why just lay down and die?

You don't see case studies about successful companies who just keep getting more successful, or at least not very often. You see case studies about companies that turn it around. Companies that start from ground zero and reach the stars. There's a challenge there. Something to really chew on. When you're starting low, any improvement is exciting and wonderful. Hard times are where innovations come from. Hard times are where great ideas come from.

"This is our time. This is our time down here."

Remember the 80s movie The Goonies? A bunch of silly kids face the impossible mission of saving their homes. They go on a treasure hunt and despite numerous obstacles, they end up winning the day. For all of us non-millionaire types, this is our time. It's a time to find success and then pay it forward. It's a time to take a little ball of clay and make a designer bowl. It's time to take a struggling hometown and try to lift it up.

If I were ever to get famous...if I were ever to find the fame and fortune of a LeBron James or The Black Keys, I would not move an inch from my hometown. I would say, "Hey, I'm from Akron, and now that I have this success, what can we do to liven this place up?"

What would you do?

4 comments:

dannybuntu said...

You had me at:

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Hey, where are you going?"

I sincerely admire your spirit, I've never been to Akron or to the States for that matter (the only place I've been to - outside of the Philippines is Australia).

"I think what's happening in Akron and in Northeast Ohio in general is symptomatic of a serious problem in our society. When things get tough or frustrating or depressing or painful, people immediately look for brighter pastures rather than trying to figure out what went wrong or how to fix it."

Well, can you imagine if millions of people in your town migrated all over the world?

That's whats happening to the Philippines.

As of 2004 (Sorry for the old stats-I think the current number is twice that now), there are more than 1,000,000 Filipinos in different countries now - often leaving their families here as they work abroad as nurses, doctors, care givers. Chances are you will find a Filipino in all the corners of the world.

-My opinion on the matter is this, the phenomenon is market driven and is inevitable.

Right now there are thousands of jobs here that were brought by American companies, BPOs and call centers.

A majority of my countrymen are happy that these office jobs are here - the lowest monthly rate for a starting call center agent is 15,000 pesos or $334 USD a month. Which I know is a paltry amount there.

Very few of us actually think about this - but I do. I would assume that 1 American call center agent is equivalent to 3 Filipino call center agents - in terms of salary - I don't really know the rates there.

In summation, companies go to places where the business environment is suitable for their purposes - which is to make more profit.

Filipino Nurses/Health Professionals go to the US for higher pay.

US BPOs go to the Philippines, India for low cost workers.

It's sad to say that this is a reality that we all have to contend with. I understand that it's painful to see longtime friends and family go to the ends of the earth.

You've said that, "people immediately look for brighter pastures rather than trying to figure out what went wrong or how to fix it.

It is easier.

--> I'm a little bit like you (At least I think so) I've chosen the hard way and stayed in my country despite the perceivably limited opportunities.

My mom used to constantly nag me to go abroad and become a nurse. (Heh!)

Fortunately, I've proven myself capable in (still) resurrecting the family businesses that my dad left when he died. So now, here I am, writing, living in an unoperational resort and managing a commercial building by remote control :)

I do want to travel around the world (particularly there in the US!), but when I do, I want to drive a Ford Mustang with a black leather jacket, sunglasses and not wear white overalls. :)

dannybuntu said...

Oh dear, sorry about the double posted comments, google was acting up. I can't find the delete button.

Real Life Mad Man said...

Wow, thank you for your very thoughtful response. I didn't really think about taking this to the international "low wage" phenomenon, but that makes it even more complex. In that scenario, you could do everything right but still not find success just because of the economy you're in. Very good way to take the post to an expanded perspective. Thank you!

suzanne vara said...

I am a hometown leaver, I admit. I think a large part of it is what you hit on with the Whole Foods. Come here and help this community but for them it is not a highly attractive area as it relates to the bottom line.

Some cities/townships are in trouble and as members of the community we have to try and fix it or more and more people will leave.

A lot of it is that people either do not know how are eager enough to or hit some red tape and ultimately the spirit to fix dies out. People banding together to make a difference is inspiring and together we can make change.